You have a good internet connection on your PC by an ethernet cable, but you intend to connect your other devices wireless to the internet,
Do you think its possible?
Can the windows computer work like a WiFi router?
Well, the answer is yes.
You can do it by wireless bridging too. To know how you can achieve it by wireless bridging check this link right here now.
The main thing to make sure in this whole process is that your Windows computer has a wireless network card installed.
If it is correctly installed, then you can inevitably turn you PC into a wireless hotspot.
In this way, you can share your internet connection.
How Does it Work?
Many Wifi cards for PCs can be used to share the wired internet connection wirelessly.
Some software and individual configuring are also needed to use this capability.
The configuration will work as the virtual router that will allow your PC to share the internet connection.
In this article, we will have a look at some of the ways b which you can do this.
Ad-Hoc Wireless Connection By Window Menu:
The meaning of the Latin word Ad-hoc is ‘for this.’
It is referred to describe something that is set up for that specific use only.
You a setup an ad-hoc wireless network in windows by two methods
1) Through the graphical menu
2) Through command line.
Let’s have a look at the graphical menu first.
- Open the control panel form the start menu.
- Then go to network center.
- Here a window will appear.
- Click on ‘set up a connection.’
- Then a window will appear scroll down until you find the option for setting the wireless ad-hoc connection
- Then click not he, so it is highlighted.
- Click next button.
- A new window will appear that will have a description of the ad-hoc connection.
- Here you will be asked to choose the security type. Choose the WPA2.
- The check the box saying save this network.
- Click the next button.
Congratulations, You have successfully created an ad-hoc wireless network.
The Critical Things to Consider:
The device using the wireless ad-hoc connection need not be at a distance of more than 30 feets.
This is considered the maximum upper limit.
Another critical thing to know at this point is that you ay other wireless connection on the drive will be dropped if you create an ad-hoc wireless connection on that device.
WPA-2 security type is recommended to be sued.
- It is easy to setup
- Quick to disable
- Best for temporary connection of devices
Method # 2: Connection via Command line:
You can also create this connection via command line.
The thing that you can do on the window by command line can also be done by writing a batch file.
- To Open the commands promote click on the start menu.
- Then type cmd.
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Initialize the hosted network made first by a command.
- Then turn on the network by a command.
The Software Approach:
There are many software by which you can do this.
Some popular ones are:
- Connectify HotSpot PRO